Zamboanga – Education
City Almanac | Zamboanga City History
ama computer college, ama computer learning center, Inc, school, western mindanao state university
The formal schooling in the Ciudad de Zamboanga is patterned after the American technique, with English as the medium of instruction. Schools are classified in to public (government) and private (non-government). Classes start in June, and finish in March. all of colleges, and universities follow a semester calendar from June to October, and November to March. There’s a quantity of foreign schools with study programs.
The general pattern of formal education follows by five stages:
- Pre-primary level – nursery and kindergarten offered in most private schools;
- Primary level – six years of basic education;
- Secondary level – four years of high school education;
- Tertiary level – usually takes four years, sometimes five and in some cases as in medical and law schools.
- Graduate level – additional two or more years of schooling.
Universities and Colleges
List of Tertiary Schools in Zamboanga City:
- Ateneo de Zamboanga University
- Universidad de Zamboanga
- Western Mindanao State University
- AMA Computer College- Zamboanga Campus
- Brent Hospital & Colleges Inc.
- Colegio de Moderno Technico Y Informatico (CMTI)
- Delcom College
- HMIJ Institute of Technology (Formerly HMIJ Philippine Islamic College)
- Immaculate Conception Archdiocesan School
- J-Jireh College School
- Nuevo Zamboanga College
- Mindanao Electronics Institute (MEIN College)
- Philippine Public Safety College
- Pilar College
- STI College- Zamboanga
- Southern City Colleges (SCC)
- Universal College of Southeast Asian and Pacific Inc.
- Ebenezer Bible College & Seminary
- Western Mindanao Cooperative College (WMCC)
- Zamboanga City State Polytechnic College
- Zamboanga College of Engineering & Technical Cooperative School
- Zamboanga State College of Marine Sciences and Technology (ZSCMST)
- Zamboanga Polytechnic School
- A. B. Simpson Alliance School
- AMA Computer Learning Center (ACLC)
- Asian Institute of Health Care (AIM)
- Ayala Technical Vocational School
- Ciudad De Zamboanga Nurse Care Review Center, Inc.
- Computer Technologies
- Institute of Zamboanga City (COMTECH)
- Delfin Computer Learning Center Inc.
- EWORLD Career Center Corp.
- Pastor Bonus Seminary
- St. Augustine School of Nursing-Zamboanga Branch
- Sungold Technologies Inc.
- Vitali Technical Vocational School
- Zamboanga Aeronautics Technology, Inc.
- Zamboanga City Academy and Training Institute, Inc
- Zamboanga City Medical Center School of Nursing
- Zamboanga Institute of Aviation & Technology
- Zamboanga Maritime Training Institute
- Zamboanga Medical School
- Zamboanga School of Arts & Trade
One of the most historic cities in the Philippines; Zamboanga plays host of numerous first-rate colleges and universities. These educational institutions attract lots of students in the province, as well as from the other parts of the country. The city of Zamboanga has a several prestigious private schools in Southern and Western Mindanao. Most of these private schools or institutions are administrated by Catholic missionaries.
Most of the universities and colleges in the city which offer different courses with the same standard of teaching to that of others schools in the Philippines. Thus, pursuing a degree in the city is not difficult. Records show that educational institutions in the city have produced topnotchers in board examinations as well as competent men and ladies in the government and private sectors.
- Ateneo de Zamboanga University – Founded by the Society of Jesus in 1912, it is the second oldest Jesuit school in the Philippines. It initially catered to primary & secondary schooling for boys. It became a college in 1952, as well as a university in August 2001. The Ateneo de Zamboanga began in 1912 as Escuela Catolica, a parochial school run by French Jesuits at the elderly site of the Immaculate Conception Church, right across the Sunken Garden. The school now has campuses in the city.
- Pilar College was founded in the year 1894, as a Cartilla School by the Beaterio Sisters who evacuated from Tamontaca, Cotabato. of the sisters who started the Cartilla School in the year 1894 was Brother Maria Antera Cruz, RVM.
- Universidad de Zamboanga – A private university in Zamboanga City, Philippines. Founded on October 12, 1948 by Arturo Eustaquio, Sr. It was formerly known as Zamboanga A.E. Colleges until it was granted a university status by the CHED in the year 2005. It’s 8 campuses spread out in an area of over 130 hectares in the city & some parts of Zamboanga Peninsula. Universidad de Zamboanga has two Highschools namely Arturo Eustaquio Memorial Science Highschool & the UZ Technical Highschool.
- Ebenezer Bible College & Seminary – The Ebenezer Bible College & Seminary is the largest school of the Christian & Missionary Alliance Church buildings of the Philippines & of the oldest & finest co-educational schools in the Philippines. It was built on a foundation of Christian days schools known as Ebenezer Schools, the first being established after 1903 by Rev. & Mrs. David O. Lund, & the second after 1920 by Rev. JA McMillan. For 31 years, Ebenezer was located two km. east of the business section of Zamboanga City & transferred its site from Tetuan to a 13-hectare campus west of the city, Calarian in 1957. The campus is bounded on the north side by the national highway & on the south side by the stunning Sulu Sea.
- University of the Philippines , Zamboanga – Is proposed university under the Senate Bill No. 2662, a bill to generate the new University of The Philippines Campus in Zamboanga City mandated by Senator. Rodolfo Biazon, to serve the whole Zamboanga Peninsula Region & ARMM Region. If this is approved, UP-Zamboanga will be the second UP campus in Mindanao after UP-Mindanao in Davao City.
- Western Mindanao State University – Formerly Zamboanga Normal College founded 1904; Is the first to be granted as a university in the year 1978. It is the only state university in the Ciudad de Zamboanga. Its campus is located in Baliwasan & is offering college & vocational programs. The university is believed to be the oldest school in Mindanao. WMSU already brought numerous achievements in the academic field, it is the Middle of Excellence in Teacher Schooling, Middle of Development in Architecture, Best School in Social Work, Best School in Forestry & Number one in the Criminology Board Examinations. The school is thought about of the best public universities in the country.
- Zamboanga State College of Marine Sciences & Expertise – Is a member of Philippine States & Colleges League. The only school in the Philippines aside from the city of Cebu that offered a work that related to Marine & Sea Courses. It was founded in 1956.
- Zamboanga City State Polytechnic College – Formerly Zamboanga City Trade School founded 1905. It was founded as a small workshop classroom of the Zamboanga Central School in July 1905. In 1992, the Zamboanga School of Arts & Trades was converted in to Zamboanga City Polytechnic College under the supervision of the Commission on Higher Schooling. On July twenty, 2001, pursuant to Republic Act 9142, the Zamboanga City Polytechnic College became a state college & its name changed to Zamboanga City State Polytechnic College. The college is mandated to provide advanced instruction & professional training in science & expertise & other related fields, undertake research & extension services, & provide progressive leadership in the Ciudad de Zamboanga.
Help us promote this article!